Can someone try to get me to pay child support without a DNA test?

Question Detail

I met a girl a while ago and we made out a few times but did nothing more (a.k.a no intercourse). All of a sudden I start receiving calls from a child support office claiming that I am the father of this girl’s child and have to pay child support for her baby. Can they make me pay without a DNA test that proves I am the father of the child? Do I need an attorney to represent me in court?

Attorney Michael Fischer

 Mike’s Answer:

While you do not have to have an attorney represent you in court, it would definitely be beneficial given the complexity of your case. If you failed to respond to a complaint regarding this matter, you may have been defaulted and no DNA test would have been required. If you were never served with a complaint, than you should request a DNA test as soon as possible.

Category: Child Support, Family Law, Paternity

← FAQs