Can I choose to give up my rights as father?

Question Detail

I am thinking about giving up my rights to my children. What consequences would I face if I wanted to do so? Would I still be required to pay child support?

Attorney Michael Fischer

 Mike’s Answer:

You cannot give up your rights as a father to get out of your obligation to pay child support. However, there are limited circumstances where the child can be adopted, at which point one would no longer have to pay support since they ar no longer the legal parent of that child.  The primary question is do you really want to give up all rights to your child and secondly is there someone else willing to step in to adopt the child and assume the financial obligations that go along with supporting the child.

Category: Child Custody, Divorce, Family Law, Paternity

← FAQs