Filing for Divorce

Attorney Michael Fischer Filing for Divorce

Getting a divorce can be a complicated process. Over the years, spouses often accumulate many shared possessions, such as houses and cars. Many couples also have shared bank accounts. And of course many couples have children. All of these factors, and more, can add to the layers of complexity you have to work through.

Without a doubt the most effective and stress-free way of filing your divorce papers is with the help of an experienced divorce attorney. The Oceanside divorce lawyers of Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP have years of experience in California divorce proceedings. We have helped countless couples work through the divorce process. Contact us today at 760-722-7646.

How an Attorney Can Help

Some couples choose to file for divorce on their own. This is not a very common choice, because divorce laws are complex and vary from place to place. Of course, this option is somewhat easier if you and your spouse don’t share ownership of a house, have a joint bank account, and so forth. Whether or not you seek the help of an attorney, it’s useful to have an understanding of what you need to file for divorce.

Depending on your situation, you may need to pull together the following documents. It’s usually easiest to put them all together in a folder.

  • If you have shared possessions with titles or deeds, such as houses and cars, you need to locate all the paperwork relating to that purchase;
  • If you have any shared debt, you will need records of it;
  • If you have any shared finances-savings accounts, checking, etc-you should pull together details of that as well;
  • If you file joint taxes, you will need to have tax returns and any other relevant information.

Once you’ve assembled all this information, you will need to resolve the financial matters. The exact process will depend on your banks and lenders.

The first proper legal step is to visit your local courthouse to pick up the divorce paperwork. Note that you can only file for divorce in California if you or your spouse have been a resident of the state for at least six months. Otherwise you will need to consult the jurisdiction where your marriage was performed.

When you file the paperwork, you, your spouse, or both will have to pay a fee. Again, the fees and forms will vary by jurisdiction. In California this can vary by county.

All of these steps can become more complex if either spouse contests the divorce. Overlooking certain considerations, not coming to agreements over division of property, and many other divorce details can lead to prolonged legal battles.

Contact Us

To avoid much of the difficulty of the divorce process, contact the Oceanside divorce lawyers of Fischer & Van Thiel, LLP today at 760-722-7646. We have the experience to help your divorce proceed as smoothly as possible.

Enhanced by Zemanta
in    0